Thursday, May 30, 2013

An Amazing Beach at Etretat

So, a lot of photos from the beach at Etretat. It was quite the amazing experience getting to walk across the stone beach. The fog, rain, wind, and crashing wash upon the stones all made for quite a dramatic beach walking. For however short we were there, it most certainly made a lasting expression for me. 


The cliffs along the beach have been carved by years of weathering to make magnificent scenes of natural beauty. Getting to climb through the grottoes of the cliffs was one of the most amazing and naturally beautiful experiences I've had traveling throughout Europe. I'll come back someday and buy a beach house here in Etretat. The North Carolina State Museum in Raleigh actually has artwork of the cliffs and beaches of Etretat. It is a very stunning place. Anybody traveling in France must visit Etretat.


 I would say that this beach is among the most beautiful beaches in the world. It may not be sandy, tropical beach in the Pacific or Caribbean, but these kinds of beaches are just as beautiful in my opinion and can actually be more beautiful at times.
 Climbing through the rocks was little scary at times since it was raining, the rocks were very wet, and my shoes didn't have the best traction. But, that was certainly not going to stop me from getting to see all I could and have as much fun I as I could get out of it. The grottoes were mostly under water during high tide, so we had to be sure not to get stuck for too long. And, the ladder below was somewhat nerve-wracking to climb up. But, yet again, nothing was going to stop me from exploring as much as I could.

 I had to get on my hands and knees at times and by the time I made it through, I was all wet and cold and covered with sand and seaweed and sea moss stuff. Totally worth it and I would definitely do it again. It really doesn't get much better that than I think.
 This was one of the the tunnel/caves we had to walk through. It was a lot darker than it appears. It was very exciting to walk through these tunnels. They  are the only ways to get to other parts of the beach.

 Climbing down and up this part of the cliffs was probably the most scary part since the rope that to be used was well worn out and the rocks were quite slippery.


 My green shirt blended in well with the seaweed and sea moss covering the rocks.


 Walking back was rather sad because I really wanted to stay a lot longer just to explore more. But, I'll back soon enough to explore more at the beach at Etretat. It is a beautifully magnificent place. But for now, on towards new adventures and experiences just as amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment