Tuesday, June 4, 2013
British Politics over Crepes
Today's classes were interesting. Really long and tiring though. Not much too entertaining really happened. In French class, we talked about Little Red Riding Hood, violence in education, and fast-food chains, among other things. After class, I had lunch at the university dining hall. The lack of quality in the food at French dining halls is strikingly similar to that in America. I know it's food I don't have to pay for, but I really don't know how much I can take of it. The other class is moving along. I just want to get to the part I signed up for. What we're doing now is fun and all, but I signed up for European Politics, not whatever we're doing now, which is one reason why I was so curious to know about British Politics later on at dinner. When the elective class got out, I went back to the dorm and worked on some stuff for my classes. We had an NC State group dinner tonight, paid for by the program director, at this really cool, really French Crêperie. I actually ended up ordering the Italian Crêpe of all things. The pesto and smoked ham was really quite surprisingly good on a Crêpe. The Crêperie must be a really popular place because it filled up really quickly. The place was actually understaffed by a lot tonight, so we ended up having to wait for about an hour until we could get dessert. We were determined not to miss dessert though and it was most certainly worth the hour it took. I'll be going back to the place before I leave. But, during the hour we had to wait, we got quite bored. One of the other program directors from the university we're at came along and she's Welsh. We somehow got onto the subject of politics and so I asked her about the political situation in the United Kingdom. I started first with Whales, then moved to Scotland, then to England, then to Northern Ireland. It really was quite fascinating. The Queen really has no point in the government these days apparently. I was going to move on to the Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Manx, but we finally got dessert. After dinner, I walked back to the dorm with some of the other students and hung out with them for awhile while they decided what to do tonight. We don't have classes tomorrow, so a lot of the other students are going out tonight. I wasn't too interested in going out, so I decided to return to the room and relax. That then leads us to this point where I'm writing this entry. So, yeah, not much today. Tomorrow, we're taking a trip to the lovely Belgian town of Bruges. I'm excited to go. I've not been to Belgian Flanders and I here it's a really fascinating region. I'll be taking a lot of photos. As for now though, I'll see what there's to do until I turn in for the night.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment