Saturday, June 8, 2013

Classes, Crepes, and the Zoo

           So the past couple of days have fun so far. Classes are beginning to settle into their usual roll. French class has been very much French. We've going over some basic grammar points regarding verb tenses, which has been very helpful for me. We've also been having discussions about a wide variety of topics, such as politics, literature, the workforce, and movies. For the elective class, we get to actually start the actual European Politics class next week, which is going to be fun and exciting. We have Wednesdays off, which means we're only going to have twelve class sessions, which is kinda short, but that's summer session 1 I guess. Aside from classes, I'm beginning to settle into to a good routine. I haven't been able to do much out of class, though, the past few days because I was somewhat sick, but I'm not sick anymore now. The weather has been getting much better too now. The first several days it was raining and overcast pretty much every day. But, now it's been warm and hot with very little cloud coverage. That's helped a lot. I've also found Orangina. Orangina is a French orange soda which is a lot better than other drinks. I try not to drink it too much, but it is quite good. Last night I went back to the creperie that the NC State group went to on Tuesday night. It's really amazing and has a really cozy tavern-like feel to it. The kitchen is visible from the dining area and it's really cool to watch the chefs making the crepes. I had the Italian crepe for the main course and then a Creole crepe for dessert. I think last night was my waiter's first night on the job because he was constantly being shown how to do stuff and was being led on a lot by the head chef, the woman I assumed was the owner, and the two other more experienced waitresses working with him. It was fun watching how life at the restaurant was being played out. I got a lot of sleep and slept in late today. I think that helped me a lot, because I've been feeling a lot better today. Most of the NC State people left to go to London yesterday after class, so I'm here in Lille without many people to do stuff with this weekend. I don't mind that much though. Today I reserved my hotel and train tickets for Luxembourg. I'm getting really excited about that because I've not been to Luxembourg before and it's a really cool place that's often overlooked by people going to Europe. After that, I went to Lille's zoo and walked around the place for a while. It's definitely a quaint, yet fun, place to spend time at and I'll most likely go back tomorrow. The zoo has a lot of really cool exotic animals to admire. The zoo's located in a part of town that has a lot of parks people like to hang out in during the weekends and I'll probably be in that area of town a lot when I'm not in class. After the zoo, I went to pick up dinner at a typically French grocery store and went back to the dorm to relax. And that's been what's been happening the past few days. Most of everything is closed tomorrow, but I'll be going to see what the Sunday markets are like, so that will be fun and exciting. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the evening. More photos will come whenever I find more cool things to take pictures of.

1 comment:

  1. I am so loving reading about your adventures there!!! Takes me out of the mountains for a bit! Happy to read that you're feeling better! Have lots of fun and soak up more of that culture for me ;0)

    ~Krissie

    ReplyDelete